Gas Main Break Forces Some Coal Valley Residents From Their Home - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Gas Main Break Forces Some Coal Valley Residents From Their Homes


Some tense moments after a construction crew breaks a gas main in Coal Valley.

Residents were forced from their homes out of fear of an explosion.

As police, ambulance crews, and even city maintenance workers knocked doors before nine Wednesday morning. Telling residents to get out.

a two inch gas line had been broken, and there was a lot of gas hissing out of it.

Coal Valley and Colona firefighters stood by in case of an explosion.

While they waited for repair crews to bring the gas line back under control.

"It sounded like a waterfall, lot of pressure going through that pipe," says Police Chief Mark Poulos.

"Anytime you have a rupture in a gas line you have a very serious situation especially in as large of one like this," says Village Administrator Alan Wilson.

Fifty year Coal Valley resident Peggy Walsh says, "I took my dog and got out of the house, walked around the yard a while, then an ambulance driver came by and said you better, I would get out of here, maybe go north or somewhere."

It's the first time she's ever been evacuated.

"No, I've never been evacuated before," says Walsh.

MidAmerican Energy expected the repair to take between two and four hours. Because they had to dig a new hole to shut down the gas. A shut off valve was not available.

Parent Jason Murley was picking up his children from their grandparents just down the block from the evacuation zone.

"Gas is something you don't mess around with, and you know it's awfully close."

His parents said they could hear how big the gas leak was.

"They could here it from inside the house when they struck the line," says Murley.

So he decided to get to his children faster.

"Time to go get em," says Murley.

The gas main break had people fearing the worst at first.

"Explosions, and you know our neighborhood in real danger," says Beth Boudreau.

She lives just outside the evacuation zone. So emergency crews told her she could stay unless she began to smell gas in her home. And she decided it would be best to leave for work a little later Wednesday morning.

"My son had just gotten home and gone to bed and I didn't want to leave him sleeping in case he couldn't smell something if he needed to."

Crews capped the leak about two hours after the break. And replaced the broken pipe soon after... ending a hectic morning for this neighborhood.