A mystery smell in West Davenport Friday afternoon, August 24, 2012, forces some students from their classrooms.
Mid American energy crews have been searching all afternoon for what they thought was a gas leak.
They started receiving calls from people smelling gas in the neighborhood about 12:30 this afternoon.
At one point there were at least half a dozen Mid American crews responding to all the calls.
They looked into each one, 100 calls in all.
And the smell was serious enough that five Davenport schools evacuated this afternoon.
Students from Smart Middle school and Monroe Elementary sat in a little park just across the street from both schools.
While maintenance workers made their way through the school buildings opening up windows to air the classrooms out.
The district says there was never a threat of any gas building up in the schools.
But they were worried about the smell, which can bother people and make them feel sick.
Besides these two schools, Adams, Williams, and Children's Village were all evacuated as well.
Davenport Operations Director Scott Martin says the school principals have the right to be cautious.
"They have the authority to evacuate the building anytime they feel that students can be unsafe," says Martin.
Those schools let the students back into the buildings after about an hour.
And after several hours of searching, Mid-American's repair crews turned up empty handed.
They didn't find a gas leak anywhere.
And consider their investigation into the smell closed.