Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Rock Island Schools - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Rock Island Schools

Updated: Dec 4, 2012 06:11 PM CST
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Man Found Shot In Rural Scott County-UPDATED

    Man Found Shot In Rural Scott County-UPDATED

    Monday, July 28 2014 3:56 PM EDT2014-07-28 19:56:57 GMT
    UPDATE: Officials are asking for help locating a van they say is involved in a shooting that happened early Monday morning. The Scott County Sheriff’s Office received the call around...More >>
    UPDATE: Officials are asking for help locating a van they say is involved in a shooting that happened early Monday morning. The Scott County Sheriff’s Office received the call around...
    More >>
  • Davenport Grease Fire Evacuates Six Apartments

    Davenport Grease Fire Evacuates Six Apartments

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:55 GMT
    An early morning grease fire gave the residents of a Davenport apartment building a little unwanted excitement.Crews were called to the 2500 block of east 53rd Street around ...More >>
    An early morning grease fire gave the residents of a Davenport apartment building a little unwanted excitement.Crews were called to the 2500 block of east 53rd Street around ...More >>
  • Two Boats Collide Near Clinton

    Two Boats Collide Near Clinton

    Monday, July 28 2014 3:03 PM EDT2014-07-28 19:03:52 GMT
    One person was taken to the hospital after two boats collided in the Mississippi River near Clinton, Iowa over the weekend.The crash happened...More >>
    One person was taken to the hospital after two boats collided in the Mississippi River near Clinton, Iowa over the weekend.The crash happened...More >>

Both Iowa and Illinois have no laws about having carbon monoxide detectors in schools, but one school district is stepping up to keep kids safe.

"Some of the administration noticed an odor in one of our schools, it was a gas leak," said Holly Sparkman, Marketing Director of Rock Island/Milan School District, " There was a carbon monoxide leak, as well as a gas odor."

It happened at Washing Junior High in Rock Island.

It's a colorless odorless gas, responsible for 170 deaths in the U.S. each year.

And even though no law required them to do so, the school district decided to take action.

"We figured out the problem to put C-O detectors in that area, we decided to put them in all the buildings as well."

The leak came from the kitchen area and action was taken immediately to make sure everyone was safe. No one was harmed.

C-O emissions are the by-products of burning various fuels which is why Rock Island is sparing no expense when it comes to placing these detectors.

"Were in the process of putting detectors in the boiler rooms... If there is no fresh air, the boilers won't light, but that doesn't mean something can't happen."

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131
Email: news@kwqc.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.