UPDATE: 8:15 A law enforcement official says authorities investigating the mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school found more guns inside the school than the initial two that had been reported.
Watch the President's tearful speech here.
UPDATE - A law enforcement official says the suspect in the Connecticut school shootings is 20-year-old Adam Lanza, the son of a teacher at the school where the shootings occurred. A second law enforcement official says the boy's mother, Nancy Lanza, is presumed dead.
The first official says Adam Lanza's older brother, 24-year-old Ryan, of Hoboken, N.J., is being questioned by police. An earlier report from a law enforcement official mistakenly transposed the brothers' first names.
Both officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record about the developing criminal investigation.
The first official said Adam Lanza is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
UPDATE 2:26 p.m. - More information is emerging about the suspect in today's Connecticut elementary school shootings. A law enforcement official identifies him as 24-year-old Ryan Lanza.
Another official who was briefed on the shooting says the gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound -- and that one of the victims was the shooter's mother, a teacher at the school.
According to one official, the suspect's younger brother is being held for questioning as a possible second shooter.
The official also says Ryan Lanza's girlfriend and another friend are missing in New Jersey.
Although authorities haven't released the number of dead and injured, an official says 26 people were killed, including 18 children, in addition to the gunman. That would make the shooting the nation's second-deadliest at a school -- exceeded only by the Virginia tech massacre in 2007.
Students are telling parents about their ordeal this morning. One 6-year-old has told his father that he was in a classroom when a gunman burst in and shot the teacher. The boy said he grabbed some of his friends and ran from the room.
UPDATE - A law enforcement official says the attacker in the Connecticut school shootings is a 20-year-old man with ties to the school.
The official said that a gun used in the attacks is a .223-caliber rifle. The official also said that New Jersey state police are searching a location in that state in connection with the shootings, said by an official in Connecticut to have left 27 dead, including 18 children.
The official in Washington spoke on the condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak on the record about the developing criminal investigation.
ORIGINAL STORY - An official with knowledge of a shooting at a Connecticut elementary school says 27 people are dead, including 18 children.
Police say the suspect killed his mother at their home, then went on the school rampage.
The official would not say what type of guns were found but says all the weapons were being traced by state and federal authorities. The official was not authorized to speak to reporters about the investigation and spoke only on condition of anonymity.
Authorities say a 20-year-old man opened fire Friday inside the school in Newtown, massacring 26 people, including 20 children, then killed himself. He was carrying at least two handguns.
Other law enforcement officials also speaking on condition of anonymity have said the gunman apparently left a high-powered rifle in the back of a car he drove to school.