Fire Damages Eldridge Home - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Fire Damages Eldridge Home


A late night fire leaves an Eldridge family picking up the pieces. It broke out just after 11:00 pm Saturday night, in a home on the corner of 4th and Davies streets. Firefighters believe it may have started in the chimney of a wood-burning stove and then spread to the attic.

 "Oh my mom, she is in love with this place. It's her home, she wouldn't trade it for any place in the world," said John Green.

Green is the son of the homeowners and he says his parents have lived there for 34 years. He grew up in the place, but now all that is left of the room he once called his own, is a mess of charred belongings and ice.

"It's difficult," he said.

His parents were too shaken up to go on camera, but say they woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of crackling and they could see a glow. They were able to get out safely and firefighters were there within minutes. Firefighters say it took about 2 hours to get the flames completely out.

 "Can't say enough about the Eldridge volunteer fire department. They are the best I think," Green said.

 Sunday people in the community, and many of those same firefighters, came out to help the family clean up. Family members say their concern means a lot. They say even though dealing with the after math of a fire is never easy, thanks to all the support they will get through it.

"We like material things, but we don't put our faith in material things. My mom and dad are both strong Christians and they are going to make it," Green said.

Green says he thinks the house can be saved. It will just take some major work. This is the fourth fire in Eldridge in the past 4 weeks. Crews have also knocked down flames at an apartment complex and two businesses.

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.