Rock Island Fire Causes Major Damage - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Rock Island Fire Causes Major Damage



A space heater may be to blame for an early morning apartment fire in Rock Island.

Fire crews said when they arrived on scene just after eight this morning there was heavy black smoke at 1230 13th Avenue.
Three people were inside at the time but they all got out safely because of the actions of one of the tenants.

"The tenant where the apartment caught fire noticed black smoke coming from the bedroom," Rock Island Fire Department Chief Jeff Yerkey said. "He alerted the other occupants and they all got out. He actually tried to extinguish it on his own with a neighbor but was unsuccessful because it was spreading too rapidly."

There is significant damage to the building. 
The Red Cross is giving those families food and shelter.