Oily Rags Cause Fire In Orion, IL - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Oily Rags Cause Fire In Orion, IL

Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: Suspect Identified In Rock Island Shooting

    UPDATE: Suspect Identified In Rock Island Shooting

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-04-22 21:34:39 GMT
    The Rock Island Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for Brandon Montrece Brooks of Rock Island for Aggravated Battery and Aggravated Discharge of a firearm.More >>
    The Rock Island Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for Brandon Montrece Brooks of Rock Island for Aggravated Battery and Aggravated Discharge of a firearm.More >>
  • Woman Drives Car Up Pole In Davenport

    Woman Drives Car Up Pole In Davenport

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:10 AM EDT2014-04-22 13:10:49 GMT
    UPDATE: Police say 47-year-old Lisa L. McCormick of Walcott, Iowa was arrested at the scene. She was charged with OWI 3rd offense and control of vehicle.More >>
    UPDATE: Police say 47-year-old Lisa L. McCormick of Walcott, Iowa was arrested at the scene. She was charged with OWI 3rd offense and control of vehicle.More >>
  • Gas Line Struck Near Walmart In Moline

    Gas Line Struck Near Walmart In Moline

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 5:52 PM EDT2014-04-22 21:52:26 GMT
    Moline police confirm that a gas line has been struck at 41st St. and 38th Ave. near the Walmart store. The Moline Fire Department is on the scene and some lanes of traffic are being shut down.More >>
    Moline police confirm that a gas line has been struck at 41st St. and 38th Ave. near the Walmart store. The Moline Fire Department is on the scene and some lanes of traffic are being shut down.More >>

It was a scary situation Tuesday morning, May 7, 2013, in Coal Valley, Ill., after the upstairs of a house filled with smoke.

The smoke was caused by oily rags left out that spontaneously combusted.

Assistant Fire Chief, Doug Smutzer of the Orion Fire Department says this isn't an uncommon occurrence.

"This is the second time that we've been to one in the past year, the same type of incident with oily rags. Again, the main thing is oily rags need to be disposed of properly."

The home did not have working smoke detectors but everyone is okay.

Authorities want to remind the public to safely dispose of rags when working on home improvements.