Training Teaches How Fire Behaves - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Training Teaches How Fire Behaves

Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Elderly Couple Tie Knot After 70 Years

    Elderly Couple Tie Knot After 70 Years

    Thursday, September 11 2014 7:17 PM EDT2014-09-11 23:17:49 GMT
    Seventy years is a lifetime for many of us but for Vivian and Alice, it wasn't too late to get married. Now in their 90's, together for more than 70 years, they tie the knot.More >>
    Seventy years is a lifetime for many of us but for Vivian and Alice, it wasn't too late to get married. Now in their 90's, together for more than 70 years, they tie the knot.More >>
  • Hope Creek Study Released

    Hope Creek Study Released

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 9:07 AM EDT2014-09-16 13:07:23 GMT
    The Rock Island County Board released results of a study about the financial viability of Hope Creek Nursing Home. Among the three options are to continue the current ownership...More >>
    The Rock Island County Board released results of a study about the financial viability of Hope Creek Nursing Home. Among the three options are to continue the current ownership...More >>
  • Officials ID man found dead at Iowa golf course

    Officials ID man found dead at Iowa golf course

    Authorities on Monday released the name of a man found dead at a Council Bluffs golf course pond.More >>
    Authorities on Monday released the name of a man found dead at a Council Bluffs golf course pond.More >>

Firefighters, police officers, EMTs and insurance adjusters from across the area spent Wednesday starting fires to learn how flames behave before firefighters put them out.

Typically, crews arrive on scene when a building is fully involved. But this training lets them see how a stove fire can spread, the difference sprinklers make and what can happen in an empty room. Fire Marshal Mike Hayman says, "Quite often we hear, well there's nothing in the room, so it can't burn. Well you saw. And it can burn. It burned really good. We got some high temperatures to it."

That room that burned is made of high density polyethylene. It is typically used in hog confinements, but also in hallways and bathrooms because it's easy to wipe clean. At the same time, the Fire Marshal says paying a little more for building supplies is worth it, if it means saving a life.

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131
Email: news@kwqc.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.