One Dead, One Rescued After Going Over Rock River Dam - Update - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

One Dead, One Rescued After Going Over Rock River Dam - Update

One man caught in the "curl" of the rushing water over a Rock River dam. One man caught in the "curl" of the rushing water over a Rock River dam.

UPDATE: Officials have released the name of the man who survived going over a dam on the Rock River. 42-year-old Anthony Sovey of Cambridge, Ill. was taken to the hospital.

UPDATE: The Rock Island County Coroner's Office has released the name of the jet skier that died Sunday, July 7, 2013, on the Rock River in Milan, Ill.

The coroner says the victim was 40-year-old Shane M. Ekin of Cambridge, Ill.

The preliminary cause of death is listed as presumed drowning.

ORIGINAL: One man died, another is recovering after both went over a dam on Rock River.

A report that two jet skiers were in trouble in the water near the steel dam in Milan prompted a massive response from emergency crews.

One man was successfully rescued, the other's body was recovered a short time later downstream. Officials have not released the identities of either man at this point. 

The Rock Island Fire Department tells us they were dispatched to the scene just before 5 p.m. Sunday. The call came in from the Milan Police Department.

Also responding were Rock Island County Sheriff's deputies, Med Force, Black Hawk Fire Department, Moline Fire Department, Davenport Fire Department, the Big River Rescue and Recovery Dive Team, and the Department of Natural Resources.

As one fire official we spoke to put it: "You need as many boats and people as possible to pull off a rescue like that."

The report came in that two jet-skiers were in the water. When ambulance crews arrived at the Backwater Gamblers site, the only access to the river in that area, they were told by a witness that the jet-skiers had been in the water for a while.

Apparently, they both went over the dam. One man was caught in the "curl" on the other side of the dam. That's the churning current of water going in a circular motion.

The Rock Island Fire Department went out on Van Druff Island to access the shoreline on the far east tip. When the fire department arrived, they could see one jet skier in the water at the base of the dam. He was holding onto a large tree. He was wearing a life jacket.

Fire officials say they could not see the other man in the water. However, they did see debris from both jet skis there.

The Rock Island Arsenal Fire Department dispatched its boat to make an approach from down stream of the dam, but because of the high water, it could not proceed beyond the rail bridge. The Moline Fire Department Boat was upstream of the dam.

Realizing that a rescue by boat was not going to be possible, crews had to come up with a different plan.

They tied floatation devices to a long rope and a boat, belonging to the Backwater Gamblers water ski team took it up the river, guided by radio to the victim, to get the rope to him. They sent it over the dam and the man secured himself to it.

Crews used the rope to pull him to the north shore and eventually pull him out of the water. He was taken to the hospital, but there is no information on his condition.

Fire officials tells us they were not able to locate the second jet skier at that time. His body was recovered by the Arsenal Fire boat downstream from the dam.

The Department of Natural Resources is handling the investigation.


Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.