Curtis Mansion - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Curtis Mansion

Updated:

It is a twenty room Victorian Mansion built more than one hundred years ago. The George M. Curtis Mansion is one of the oldest and most elegant buildings in Clinton.

George Curtis was a very successful businessman in the lumber industry. He was one of the founders of the Curtis Brothers Company in 1866.

George Curtis designed a great deal of the mansion.  It was built in the 1880's.  The mansion has twenty rooms, ten fireplaces, and seven bathrooms. The winding staircases and other beautiful décor are extremely attractive.

Some of the best craftsmen in the world were responsible for construction of the mansion. They came from England, France, Italy and Germany.

There are five rooms on the first floor. Each features a different kind of wood.  Each room was a sort of showroom.  Curtis would bring in clients to look at the different kinds of wood  and the clients would decide what they wanted to purchase.

George Curtis served in Congress. He was elected for two terms. His Congressional chair is located in the hallway of the mansion.  At one time, Curtis also served in the Iowa House of Representatives.

The Clinton Women's Club bought the mansion in 1925. The club uses it for meetings, receptions, and there are tours on Wednesday's from Memorial Day through Labor Day.  Donation is six dollars per person.

The mansion  is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131
Email: news@kwqc.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.