Neighbor Sees Toddler In Window Of House Fire - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Neighbor Sees Toddler In Window Of House Fire

Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Driver Dead After Semi Rollover Near Woodhull, IL

    Driver Dead After Semi Rollover Near Woodhull, IL

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:59 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:59:33 GMT
    One man is dead after a semi accident on I-74 Tuesday afternoon. The accident happened around 4:24 p.m. on August 19, 2014State Police say the semi was traveling westbound...More >>
    One man is dead after a semi accident on I-74 Tuesday afternoon. The accident happened around 4:24 p.m. on August 19, 2014State Police say the semi was traveling westbound...More >>
  • Peanut And Almond Butter Recall

    Peanut And Almond Butter Recall

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-08-20 16:13:05 GMT
    Peanut and almond butters sold at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other grocers are being recalled because of possible salmonella contamination. A unit of Hain Celestial Group Inc. says ...More >>
    Peanut and almond butters sold at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other grocers are being recalled because of possible salmonella contamination. A unit of Hain Celestial Group Inc. says ...More >>
  • Meaning Of Ice Bucket Challenge

    Meaning Of Ice Bucket Challenge

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 7:23 PM EDT2014-08-19 23:23:59 GMT
    Nikki and Craig Leonard both lost their fathers to ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Their family is grateful for the viral Ice Bucket Challenge. They see it as a great way of raising awareness of a disease that is often overlooked.More >>
    Nikki and Craig Leonard both lost their fathers to ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Their family is grateful for the viral Ice Bucket Challenge. They see it as a great way of raising awareness of a disease that is often overlooked.More >>

Davenport firefighters rescue a two year old boy from a burning home this morning.

He was home alone and the department had to break a window to get him out.

He's ok tonight, after some quick thinking from neighbors down the street.

Rebecca Buxbaum has lived down the street from the house that caught fire for three years. She sees her neighbors occasionally, but this morning, saw something she hopes never to see again.

"Up by the window I saw a little boy beating on the window, crying, gasping for air so I literally started screaming, all the neighbors and everybody around come running," says Buxbaum.

She had been outside already, but ran down the street when she heard a noise.

"I was having my sale this morning, and I was sitting there, it was like fireworks, kind of sparking, and so we came running over here, my husband grabbed the phone and called 911," says Buxbaum.

She feared the worst would happen to the boy in front of her eyes.

"There were flames and smoke up by the kitchen windows, all you could see was just black smoke," says Buxbaum.

"I was just screaming at the neighbors, whoever for help."

She says rescue crews arrived quickly and got to work getting the boy out.

"He was quickly pulled out appears to be doing quite well, he was taken to the hospital," says Davenport District Chief Paul Hartman.

He says a firefighter cut his hand getting through the window.

"Other than that it was a usual, everyday, small room fire," says Hartman.

An unusual event for Buxbaum though.

"It was heartbreaking," she said, but at the very least, successful.

The fire department says the fire started in the kitchen.

It was put out quickly.

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131
Email: news@kwqc.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.