Downtown Davenport Landmark - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

Downtown Davenport Landmark

Posted: Updated:

It is one of the oldest, active Catholic churches west of the Mississippi River. Saint Anthony Church in downtown Davenport was built before Iowa became a state.

The original church was built in 1837 by Dominican Missionary Rev. Samuel Mazzuchelli.  His mission was to build Catholic Churches in the region.

Mazzuchelli was a trained stone mason. He also was an architect. He built a number of churches along the Mississippi River.

Antoine LeClaire donated the land where the original church building is located. That land was called Church Square.

The church is named in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua, the Patron Saint of the Poor.

Entering the current church,  you'll notice beautiful canvas paintings on the ceiling. Also up above are the symbols of the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They wrote the gospels. The statues, windows, and Stations of the Cross are also part of the elegance of Saint Anthony Church.

The original church bell is still there. Way back when, that bell was also used for fire calls and other things.

Colonel George Davenport was a parishioner. One of the very first at Saint Anthony Church. His son was married in the church.

The parish buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.