UPDATE: Body Found At Vacant House Fire In Sterling, IL - News and Weather For The Quad Cities -

UPDATE: Body Found At Vacant House Fire In Sterling, IL

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE

The man who died in the fire was 58-year-old John Ennells according to Whiteside County Coroner Joe McDonald.

There was no foul play suspected as he died of smoke inhalation and possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Original

Firefighters in Sterling, Ill. made a startling discovery at a house fire early Tuesday morning when crews found a dead body.

Officials tell KWQC the fire was at a house that was thought to be vacant in the 200 block of west Seventh Street.

Fire crews got the call around 3:30 a.m. and were able to extinguish the fire in about 30 minutes.

They say there was heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor.

Officials haven't released any information about the victim except that the body belongs to a male.

They say they haven't made a positive ID, but have a suspicion on his identity and think he was in the house to stay warm.

Stay tuned to KWQC-TV6 and kwqc.com for details as we receive them.

Powered by WorldNow

805 Brady Street, Davenport, IA 52803

Telephone: 563.383.7000
Fax: 563.383.7131
Email: news@kwqc.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Young Broadcasting of Davenport, Inc. A Media General Company.