Curfew in place following deadly shooting the Rock Island District Saturday morning

Officials have announced a curfew, effective at midnight on Aug. 30.
Rock Island police and the Illinois State Police are responding to an early morning incident in...
Police say 1 person was fatally injured, and 5 others seriously injured in the shooting.(KWQC)
Published: Aug. 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROCK ISLAND, Ill. (KWQC) - Chief Jeff VenHuizen of the Rock Island Police Department and Mayor Mike Thoms held a press conference Saturday following a fatal shooting in the early morning hours in the Rock Island District.

During the briefing, Thoms issued an executive order that included a curfew and business closures in the District beginning at 12 a.m. midnight on Aug. 30. and ends at 6 a.m. Sunday.

Police have confirmed a 43-year-old man has died and five others were seriously injured by gunfire around 2 a.m. Saturday in the Rock Island District.

Officers said they responded to a report of a fight around 2:08 a.m. in the area of 18th Street and 2nd Avenue. The first officer to arrive reported shots fired as he was approaching the scene.

Officers located four victims around the scene, including a 43-year-old man, who died of his injuries.

According to Rock Island County Coroner, Brian Gustafson, the victim has been identified as 43-year-old Jesse Brand Jr. of Rock Island. An autopsy has been tentatively scheduled for Monday.

The other victims were a 42-year-old man, who sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, a 29-year-old man, who sustained a gunshot wound to the chest and hand, and a 22-year-old man who sustained a gunshot wound to the neck.

Minutes later, as officers were on scene treating victims and securing the scene, police reported shots fired nearby in the area of 19th Street and 2nd Avenue, where a fifth victim was located and a sixth victim approached the officers on foot.

The fifth victim, a 28-year-old man sustained a gunshot wound to the abdomen, and police say the sixth victim, a 30-year-old man sustained a gunshot wound to the leg.

Victims were transported to area hospitals by the Rock Island Fire Department, the Moline Fire Department, and the Arsenal Fire Department.

One victim was undergoing emergency surgery and two others were transported to trauma centers, said police.

“All available resources” have been called in to assist in the investigation, police said.

Thoms said at Saturday’s press conference, “The City of Rock Island does not tolerate this type of crime.”

A witness told TV6 he was crossing through the area when he heard “four to eight shots fired.” The man said he hid under a car, and once he saw it was clear, ran to a nearby bar.

Police have not announced any arrests. The investigation is ongoing.

According to police, a reward of $5,000 is being offered through Crime Stoppers of the Quad Cities for information that leads to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the homicide.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Rock Island Police Department or Crime Stoppers of the Quad Cities.

Anyone with video recordings of either incident is asked to submit their videos to the police department by emailing or through the Crime Stoppers of the Quad Cities “P3 Tips” mobile app.


Copyright 2020 KWQC. All rights reserved.