Advertisement

Burlington house fire likely sparked by chemical vapors in basement

(KBTX)
Updated: Jun. 16, 2021 at 3:17 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

BURLINGTON, Iowa (KWQC) - An early morning fire in Burlington appears to be caused by vapors from flammable liquids coming into contact with a pilot light on a water heater.

That’s according to the Burlington Fire Department. Firefighters were called to a house on South Street around 6:41 Wednesday morning. When they arrived, they located a small fire in the basement of the home. The fire was put out a short time later, but not before causing about $6,000 in damage to the house and its contents. The homeowners have insurance.

The occupants discovered the fire while investigating the source of a loud noise. The house did have working smoke alarms and the people inside were able to get out without injury.

The fire is considered accidental.

Copyright 2021 KWQC. All rights reserved.