Iowa rolls out same-day delivery on COVID test kits
(KWQC) - The Iowa Department of Public Health on Wednesday announced its testing kits will now get your results faster.
IDPH partnered with the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and the State Hygienic Lab to launch seven test pick-up sites that will get your tests to the lab within the same day.
Before, the Iowa State Hygenic Lab would ship out the test kits to your home within two days of receiving your online request. Then, you’d take the test back to the lab and results would be available within about 24 hours. That means it could take at least two to three days to even find out if you are positive for the virus.
To find the pick-up sites and drop-off sites, you can go to the state website and find the map. For same-day delivery to the lab, you’ll have to drop it off at the sites Monday through Friday.
Health officials say they recommend Test Iowa kits to those with mild symptoms of COVID-19 or if you’ve been exposed to someone who is COVID positive.
If you have severe symptoms, though, you are encouraged to seek emergency care.
There are currently seven pick-up sites in the state. Officials say more sites may be added, and their testing locator will be updated regularly.
- Black Hawk County: Peoples Community Health Clinic, 905 Franklin St., Waterloo
- Linn County Public Health: 1020 6th St. Southeast, Cedar Rapids
- Johnson County Public Health: 855 South Dubuque St., Iowa City
- Polk County Public Health: 1907 Carpenter, Des Moines
- Pottawattamie County Public Health: 600 South 4th St., Council Bluffs
- Scott County Public Health: 600 W. 4th St., Davenport
- Woodbury County, Siouxland District Health Department: 1014 Nebraska St., Sioux City
Copyright 2021 KWQC. All rights reserved.