Procession route announced for Knox County deputy killed in the line of duty
GALESBURG, Ill. (KWQC) - A memorial service for Knox County Deputy Nicholas Weist, who was killed in the line of duty April 29, will be held on Saturday.
According to a media release, the service will be held at Galesburg High School.
Prior to the service, there will be a procession from Dennison Funeral Home to Galesburg High School. The route will start at 11:15 a.m. and is as follows:
- Leave Dennison Funeral Home and head southbound Route 67
- Turn eastbound on 1st Avenue (Hunt Street) in Alexis
- Turn southbound on Kelly Street (120th Street)
- Turn eastbound on IL-164
- Turn northbound on Linwood Road.
- Turn eastbound on West Fremont Street to Galesburg High School
A first responder walk-through line-up will begin at 1 p.m. and take place at 2 p.m. The memorial service will follow. After the service, there will be another procession around 3:30 p.m.
The route is as follows:
- Leave Galesburg High School and go west on Fremont Street
- Turn north on Carl Sandburg Drive
- Turn south on Seminary Street
- Arrive at Crematory at the intersection of Walsh.
Illinois State Police encourage the public to come out and line the routes to show support.
The interment service will be private. The memorial service will be live-streamed.
According to his obituary, Weist leaves behind his wife and two children.
Copyright 2022 KWQC. All rights reserved.