Are you being gaslighted?
The process of gaslighting happens in stages
DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) -A film produced back in the 1940s featured a man who was trying to make his wife belief she was going insane by changing little things in their home daily. For instance, a light would dim--without being touched.
The title of the movie is Gaslight. That word now means to manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.
Dr. Monica Vermani, Clinical Psychologist, helps patients recognize the strategies of a person actively trying to victimize someone via gaslighting. Gaslighting occurs in stages, until a victim’s own ego has been compromised.
The following talking points provide the outline for the interview:
- They try to destabilize you: always challenging your perceptions of reality
- Deception is their weapon: intentionally lying to confuse
- Denial: this person will deny your truth even after evidence
- Deflection: shifting focus and changing lanes often (to confuse)
- Manipulate to remain in control: this may mean offering praise (to the target victim) when needed
To learn more about Dr. Monica Vermani including her books, podcast, private practice, corporate wellness program, and more, visit https://www.drmonicavermani.com/
Copyright 2022 KWQC. All rights reserved.