Hy-Vee comments on suspended employee discount amid alleged abuse of policy
DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) - Hy-Vee’s senior vice president of communications has issued a statement on the suspended employee discount amid alleged abuse of the policy, a program launched in 2019, which previously allowed employees and one member of their household to utilize a 10 percent everyday employee discount.
According to Hy-Vee officials on Friday, Hy-Vee issued communication to its employees that its Employee Discount Program would be suspended starting Monday, so that it could be revamped over the upcoming weeks.
Monday evening, Hy-Vee issued a statement that the company is currently in the process of revamping the program with the goal to relaunch the benefit to its employees by mid-April.
Hy-Vee’s statement added, “We still offer one of the most competitive benefit packages in the retail industry. Those benefits include some of the following:
- A free Hy-Vee premium membership, which includes free delivery and Express Hy-Vee Aisles Online pickup as well as other free monthly items, exclusive discounts and other perks
- Weekly pay as a faster, more convenient way to receive a paycheck
- A 401(k) plan with a matching contribution
- Holiday pay for retail employees
- Part-time insurance with an employer contribution based on eligibility
- Career development opportunities
- Up-to $10,500 in annual tuition assistance with Bellevue University, plus immediate family members of Hy-Vee employees can receive up to $2,500 in annual tuition assistance from Hy-Vee
- Free Doctor on Demand telehealth visits with select insurance plans
- A 10% employee discount on RedBoxRx.com pharmacy orders
- Access to Care.com to connect with service providers to care for families, pets and more
- Exclusive perks through PerkSpot.com, including discounts on childcare, electronics, cell phone plans, entertainment and more”
Hy-Vee’s response included.
Hy-Vee officials say the change to the program comes after the past several months, when officials began to notice a significant uptick in the amount of users utilizing the employee discount program who are not living in the same household or that are living in other cities, using the discount.
Copyright 2023 KWQC. All rights reserved.