Watch: Officer pulls over daughter's school bus to confront boy

The Danville Police Department and the Boyle County Schools are investigating an incident involving a Danville Police Officer who was off duty and boarded a Boyle County School bus to identify a child that had been involved in an incident with the officer's daughter.
By  | 

BOYLE COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - A Danville police officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation launched after he pulled over and then boarded a school bus Wednesday to confront a child for an incident that involved his daughter.

Officer Ryan Hundley pulled over a Boyle County Schools bus while he was off-duty to confront a child on behalf of his daughter. Officials say he did not use lights and sirens to pull over the bus, but he was in his cruiser.

Cellphone video of the incident shows a man on the bus trying to figure out who pulled his daughter's hair.

The video shows him asking his daughter: "This one? That one? Justin Bieber?"

The man in the video leans over and asks the boy for his name and then asks why he would touch his daughter's hair. The boy says "I didn't touch nobody."

Shortly after that, the boy stands up and the man yells at him to get down. He says he will be calling the principal and then walks off and gives his daughter a hug.

Hundley reported the incident to Danville City Police Chief Tony Grey after it occurred, according to a release.

Grey issued a statement that said the Danville Police Department and Boyle County Schools were investigating the incident, but he did not discuss specifics. Hundley, who has been on the force for two years, was placed on paid leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.

The police chief declined further comment.

Boyle County Schools also issued a statement, acknowledging the incident.

The statement said that since "there was no apparent safety issue that was occurring on the bus, or traffic violation, we are collaborating with the Danville Police Chief as they investigate the rationale for the stop."

"The safety of our students is paramount; there was never a danger to any of our students at any time during this incident," the release said.