Funeral arrangements announced for fallen Illinois State trooper

By  | 

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (KWQC/AP) - UPDATE 8/26 5:30 p.m. Funeral arrangements for a fallen Illinois State Trooper have been announced.

Illinois State Trooper Nicholas Hopkins, who was shot in the line of duty Friday morning, has died from his injuries. (ISP)

A visitation will be held for ISP South SWAT Trooper Nicholas Hopkins on Saturday, August 31 at Waterloo High School from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. A first responder and military walk-through will begin at 6 p.m.

A funeral will be held on Sunday, September 1 at 10 a.m., also at the high school.

Internment services are still being finalized.

The St. Clair County State's Attorney has charged Chris Grant with 1st Degree Murder in his death.

UPDATE 8/23 7:15 p.m. An Illinois State trooper who was shot in the line of duty early Friday morning has died.

Illinois State Police Acting Director Brendan Kelly announced the death of ISP South SWAT Trooper Nicholas Hopkins Friday evening.

He says at approximately 5:26 a.m., Trooper Hopkins and other ISP troopers were executing a search warrant at a home in East Saint Louis. He says there was an exchange of gunfire at the home, and Trooper Hopkins was struck.

He was taken to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries, where he died from his injuries at approximately 6:10 p.m.

Trooper Hopkins was 33-years-old and a 10-year veteran of the Illinois State Police.

ORIGINAL: Illinois State Police say a trooper has been shot while executing a search warrant in East St. Louis.

State police reported the shooting on Twitter Friday morning but didn't immediately disclose the trooper's condition. TV stations showed a large police presence in the area.

The Bellville News-Democrat reports the trooper was transported to a hospital. It says several suspects have been taken into custody but one suspect remained inside a home and police were communicating with him with a bullhorn.

Terrence Hargrove Sr., who resides with his family about six houses down from where the trooper was shot, told the News-Democrat he heard police detonating stun grenades about 5:30 a.m. When he stepped outside to investigate, he saw his street lined with police vehicles.