Police: Man who rammed Dallas TV station wasn't targeting media

By  | 

DALLAS (AP) — The Latest on a truck crashing into a Dallas TV station (all times local):

12:50 p.m.

Jail records show the 34-year-old man police say rammed a pickup truck into the downtown building of Dallas' Fox television affiliate has a criminal history dating back more than 15 years.

Dallas police say in a news release that Michael Chadwick Fry was taken into custody Wednesday morning after he intentionally crashed into the building and scattered papers outside with information on a police shooting. Police say it doesn't appear the man was targeting the media.

Online Denton County records show that Fry has been booked into jail more than two dozen times since 2003 on a variety of crimes, including public intoxication and arson.

He was charged with criminal mischief in Wednesday's crash.

Police said no "suspicious devices" were found in a bag the man removed from his vehicle following the crash.


A man repeatedly rammed his pickup truck into the Fox television affiliate's building in downtown Dallas before police detained him on Wednesday, though authorities said they don't believe he was targeting the media.

The man repeatedly crashed into the large windows near the entrance of the building that houses KDFW at around 6 a.m., smashing several of them. The truck hit an unoccupied administrative side of the building before office workers arrived for the day.

After ramming the building for the final time, the man "jumped out and started ranting," KDFW said in a statement. He wasn't able to get inside the building.

Anchor and reporter Brandon Todd said the man was yelling about "high treason," and that he believed he had clearly been wronged and that someone was trying to kill him.

"It's not real clear to what his message was," according to Todd.

At one point, the man pulled an orange duffel bag out of his truck, causing onlookers to back away, Todd said. Police Senior Cpl. Debra Webb said a bomb squad later determined that the bag didn't contain any suspicious devices.

Police said the man also scattered papers with hand writing on them that had information on a police-involved shooting.

The man was crying when he was taken into custody, Todd said. Authorities said he was taken to a hospital for examination and is now at the Dallas County jail.

The incident didn't interrupt the station's 7 a.m. newscast.